February 5th, 2008
|06:16 pm - 101 in 1001|
Here's my list of 101 Goals for the next 1001 Days. It's tough coming up with so many goals to span both the short and long term, but I do feel good having a place to put all the things I want to do! 1001 days from now is my birthday - Nov. 2, 2010.
Health and Well-Being
1. Take a multivitamin daily for at least a month
2. Get up every day at 7 AM for at least a month
3. Eat a fruit every day for a month 4. Give up soda (and find replacement beverages)
5. Bike to work, weather and health permitting, as often as possible during Daylight Saving Time
6. Bench-press my own weight
7. Get my teeth cleaned twice a year
8. Get flu shots yearly
Purchases and Finances
9. Get promoted to 'Programmer Level 3' at Acxiom 10. Set up a savings account 11. Buy a YDP-223 12. Buy a current-generation game console 13. Buy a new computer
14. Buy half a page (12 items) of "For Greg" or "For the Family" items on our Amazon Wishlist.
15. Buy a new couch
16. Buy a house
17. Become debt-free (Pay off all credit cards, medical bills, and outstanding loans)
18. Sign up for a retirement plan
19. Reduce clutter and make cash by selling my extra video games, books, movies, Magic: The Gathering cards, etc.
Family and Friends
20. Send photos of Anya to her grandparents at least once every 3 months
21. Have Anya's grandparents visit at least once
22. Go on a 'date' with Kassi at least once a month
23. Invite new people to get-togethers, parties, and game nights
24. Throw a birthday party in Conway for Kassi
25. Introduce Anya to my favorite Disney movies (Aladdin, Toy Story, Sword and the Stone...) once she is able to talk
26. Read a bedtime story to Anya every night for a month 27. Gain 10 new LJ friends
28. Find a Second Best Friend (after Kassi...)
Entertainment and Pastimes
29. Crochet the world's ugliest blanket
30. Beat 5 PC games on hardest difficulty settings
31. Buy 12 new CDs
32. See 24 movies in the theater
33. Watch 50 new movies at home
34. Read every book on my 'to read' bookshelf, including at least one Stephen King novel (or discard those I'm not interested in after 50 pages or so)
35. Visit all the used bookstores in Conway
36. Play a 400 point Scrabble game
37. Review 100 products on amazon.com
Projects and Hobbies
38. Deck out the bike with some commuter gear - a rack, panniers, and a frame pump.
39. Complete Anya's 'First Year' baby book
40. Get my digital media organized and my home network properly set up
41. Back up all my Atari 8-bit computer software to PC and share with the rest of the Internet
42. Create a PC Backup system and use it to protect against HD crash and data loss
43. Finish the arcade cabinet
44. Complete 6 electronics projects
45. Memorize the 3LL for Rubik's Cube and get my time down to sub-45 seconds
46. Write and sell a game for the Atari 2600
47. Contribute at least one new feature to an important open-source project
48. Maintain a new open-source project from startup to version 1.0
49. Take at least 200 photos each year 50. Print some photographs and give to family and friends (as creative gifts, albums, etc.)
51. Build a better CO2 system for the planted aquarium
52. Restock and redecorate both aquariums with new plants, new fish, and new objects
53. Clean the garage
54. Build a piece of furniture (bookshelf, desk, etc) from scratch
55. Replace all lightbulbs with Compact Fluorescent bulbs
56. Rearrange furniture to create more space, especially around the computer area
57. Baby-proof the house
58. Actually rake the leaves in 2008, 2009, 2010...
59. Grow some more trees in the front yard
60. Get rid of that damn dirt mound in the back : )
61. Re-organize the kitchen, eliminate extra gear and make some more counter space.
62. Join a community orchestra or string ensemble
63. Learn to play better (rhythm) guitar
64. Attend 3 (non-OneUps) concerts
65. Write a (good) chiptune
66. Learn and perform or record a set of duets with Kassi
67. Produce a (non-VGM) remix CD and offer it for free download
Social and Community Involvement
68. Go out to lunch with co-workers at least once every 3 months
69. Host 10 'strategy game nights'
70. Find a way to practice Spanish language
71. Volunteer (esp. Habitat for Humanity or other community-type event)
72. Give away at least three items on Freecycle
73. Give out Halloween candy each year
74. Find the best burrito in town!
75. Vote in the 2008 election
76. Go fishing
77. Go golfing
78. Play tennis (and consider joining the local league)
79. Give Geocaching a shot
80. Grow some food in my own garden
81. Take dance lessons with Kassi
82. Try out at least 10 new recipes
83. Take a vacation with my wife outside of a trip with The OneUps
84. Take Anya to the zoo
85. Participate in a 'community ride' sponsored by the local bike shop
86. Go on walks with Kassi and Anya - at least every night for a week
87. Watch the fireworks at the Rivermarket (Little Rock) on 4th of July at least once
88. Get a HAM Radio License
To Be Continued...
89. Donate blood twice a year
90. Complete 100_snapshots
91. Add in 2010
92. Add in 2010
93. Maintain a happy, stable marriage
94. Be a good father
95. Become more honest
96. Focus more time on self-awareness and introspection
97. Develop and apply some new principles and virtues
98. Read the Bible
99. Re-evaluate my religious beliefs (and perhaps join a church!)
100. Give $5 to a charity for every goal I don't complete
101. Live to be 27
Looks like a pretty good mix of short- and long-term goals in here. As I complete them, I'll mark them with a strikethrough and also add a link to the LJ post reviewing my experiences.
You can send the Magic cards to me, I'll tap some mana and put them to use. Anything to keep them out of the graveyard.
Haha! Well, I had been selling them off individually and in small lots on eBay for a while, but the work involved didn't really justify the amount I got back. I am still trying to figure out the best way to sell them. Hopefully it won't take me 1001 days to accomplish that.
If you need help making a PC game, I have a good idea for an "edutainment" title, it just might be a bit unwieldly:
The title would be "The Political Arena" and would be a fighting game featuring all 42 US Presidents in a Street Fighter-esque environment. Each President's attacks would be named after different events in their presidency, like FDR would have "The New Deal" and Harry Truman would have "Give 'em Hell, Harry" etc... Though, Truman's special attack would probably break the game as it would involve nuclear bombs. William Henry Harrison would be the weakest fighter because he died 30 days into his first term.
Downloadable content could be Ben Franklin and other important historical figures from other countries as well.
As for why they're fighting, no clue, who cares.
That is awesome! But I don't have time to draw 42 sprites. Might be a good project for M.U.G.E.N
I like goal #100
! I think i'll revamp my list with that one there. ^.~ all the best with the rest of your goals !
|Date:||February 12th, 2008 01:39 am (UTC)|| |
Re: your 101 goals
I enjoyed seeing your list. Good luck with them! You do seem to have a nice mix of goals. I also like the ones to "add in 2009" and "add in 2010"; that is a great idea.
My goal list (if you are curious) is on another blog (http://mm101in1001.wordpress.com/
great goals you've got there, all the best with them !